In the category of what I learned today, I just purchased an iPhone for my wife. I needed to unlock it, and get it up an running on t-mobile (I am really cheap). Here is what I did, I am not going into detail since there are a great many sites that detail the steps:
1. Put iPhone into restore mode and restoring to os 3.1.3
2. Download iPhone os 3.1.2 (need for jail breaking).
3. Download redsn0w 0.9.4
4. Download Bootloaders 3.9 and 4.6
4. Put iPhone into DFU mode – very tricky, need to get the key combinations correct.
5. Run redsn0w, select 3.1.2 for the firmware, and the bootloaders
6. Let it run and follow instructions.
Now that it is jail broken, I had to set up the APN for the t-mobile edge network.
Let us now see if my wife enjoys her new toy
I am going to keep trying to learn something new each day – today on to android.